So, the new year is here and we all have goals to do better and be better than we did last year. The excitement of the new year and new beginnings brings about a heightened motivation to get things right this time around. However, the truth is that days or a few weeks into the new year, this same excitement wont sustain us to stay on track with our goals. This isn't a bad thing, it is just a realization that we need ways to stay motivated to reach our goals for the year, myself included. Twelve months is a long time and the same way you are excited about the new year now will not be the same next month. So, if you are realistic about this you can set a plan so that you stay on track for those times that you do not feel as motivated or when you need to be rejuvenated so that you feel that same motivation again. Here are a few tips to stay motivated or get back on track so that you reach your goals for 2018.
1. Start the morning with inspiration. Get yourself into a morning routine that will help you start the day in the right mood. Whether it is prayer, meditation, motivational videos or inspirational quotes, start the day with something that will inspire you to be your best self. I personally pray and use an app called "Motivation" that sends an inspirational video of the day each day. Your morning routine may seem small, but it can make a huge difference in your day. Do you have a morning routine?
2. Know Your Why. Know why you do what you do and why you are moving toward the goals on your list. If you don't know your "why," you may end up doing things because others told you or because it is the popular thing to do. Knowing your "why" also helps you to walk in your unique purpose. Knowing your "why" you can also weed out the pointless tasks that take you off track from your goals. For example, if you start a task or project, ask yourself why am I doing this? If it is not consistent with your goals and purpose, feel free to let it go. Keeping your "why" in mind helps you to stay motivated.
3. Get Organized. Sometimes people aren’t motivated because there’s so much to do that is overwhelming. However, when you get organized, you’ll find that you’re more likely to do what you need to. Getting organized is about having a strategy. So, do you have a planner? How do you set time to track your goals each week? how do you break your goals into manageable steps? Those questions are important for staying motivated to reach your goals in 2018.
4. Give Yourself Permission not to be Perfect. The truth is, you’re not going to always feel motivated. It’s okay to have a “cheat day” every once in a while. However, you eventually have to get back on track and move toward your goals. For those days that you do not feel motivated, do you have a plan to stay on track. For example, when you get off track or feel overwhelmed, do you take self-care time? It could be an hour of lunch with a good friend, quiet time with your thoughts, a trip to the nail salon, or an evening alone. Whatever you choose, make sure you have a plan to rejuvenate on the days when you aren't feeling motivated.
5. Surround Yourself with Motivated People. Finally, the people closest to you will have the most influence on you. Think about your inner circle and if they exhibit the same motivation and ambition as you to be successful. Surrounding yourself with people who hold your same values will be important to staying motivated. When you get off track, they can help you be accountable for your goals and encourage you along the way. Take a good look at those in your inner circle.
If you enjoyed these tips, you will love our Mindset and Motivation Journal. The journal is a 40+ page document with reflection questions and tips for a success mindset and to stay motivated. Get your copy here: http://elaeducationservices.wixsite.com/mindsetjournal